|Hours after getting my first pixie cut.|
Click the jump to weigh the pros and cons.
So, to any of you who are on the fence about whether or not to get a pixie cut, here are the advantages and disadvantages I've found so far.
- The obvious: it's super easy to manage. Try going down from two quarter-sized dollops of shampoo/conditioner to a dime-sized dollop. It's fantastic, and I run out of shampoo less often. In fact, 2-in-1 works just fine, because my hair never gets tangled.
- You instantly look more chic. A well-styled pixie cut looks sophisticated and fashionable.
- But it doesn't have to. A small amount of texturizing wax or gel can turn a pixie cut into a rugged carefree choppy look. Faux-hawks are pretty awesome too.
- If you do dye your hair (and it turns out poorly), you won't have to wait long to cut it off.
- Skinny headbands and clips galore!
- If you like dying your hair fluorescent colors, you'll have to do the whole head. Streaks and highlights don't look great, and they grow out even worse.
- Your neck will probably get cold in the winter.
- You'll always have bangs.
All that aside, getting a pixie cut was a very personal experience for me. I'm tempted to say it drastically altered my personality. Either that, or it took a drastic alteration of my personality to convince myself to get the pixie cut in the first place. In any case, take it seriously; make it personal. There's no one "pixie cut" that looks good on everybody. Find your shape and make it yours!